Draft Indian Nuclear Doctrine
Report on the Draft Indian Nuclear Doctrine, National Institute of Advanced Studies, 2001, pp x+45, ISBN: 81-87663-14-6.
Editor: Arvind Kumar
The report is based on a workshop held (November 26-27 1999) at the National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bangalore shortly after the Government of India released the draft document on the Indian nuclear doctrine in August 1999 for public debate and discussion. The workshop provided a platform for the academics and members of the strategic community to exchange views on the draft doctrine.
Table of Contents
- An Overview on the Draft Indian Nuclear Doctrine
- India’s Strategic Thinking in the New Millennium
- Notions of Deterrence
- No First-use Policy: Its Genesis in the Indian Context and its Relevance
- Does India need a Triad?
- Impact of the Nuclear Doctrine on Conventional Conflicts
- Conclusions and Policy Options
- Annexure I: Draft Indian Nuclear Doctrine
- Annexure II: The Triad: Concept and Features
- Annexure IIi: Discussion on Questions from an Indian Perspective
- Annexure IV: List of Participants